Hello Tigers and Tiger Fans,
The following is the Return to Play Protocol and Procedures that will be followed. Within the first page you will find the waiver that must be signed and turned in before any participation can happen. We are excited to get back to things but want to do so with precautions and safety for everyone. Go Tigers!
CANON CITY HIGH SCHOOL
Return to Practice/Play Protocol
Canon City High School and Fremont RE-1 School District have been working on a plan to have student-athletes return to practice/play during the COVID-19 outbreak. The Colorado High School Activities Association (CHSAA) officially lifted its moratorium on athletics June 1st and per June 4, 2020, the State of Colorado permitted recreation activities.
Canon City High School will be introducing students/activities members back to athletics in June 2020.
In order to ease everyone back into our high school athletics/activities program, we will begin with what has been allowed for the reentry process. The guidelines for this beginning phase are outlined below. It is imperative that students and parents understand the importance of following these guidelines during this pandemic. Our goal as a school and district is to return to normalcy, but we will only move forward in the name of safety which is our top priority.
Before any student can participate in practices/workouts over the summer the following waiver needs to be signed by the athlete and their parent/guardian. You can access the waiver here https://docs.google.com/document/d/14FgfpxR7_Hv8cB6Fsi5x9JWgkPZXSzyCHgYRPSxgcRA/edit#heading=h.gjdgxs
Canon City High School Return to Practice/Play Protocol
Begins June 2020
- All coaches/staff and students will be screened for signs/symptoms of COVID-19 prior to a workout. Screening could include a temperature check. Please be aware if a student has walked to practice his/her temperature could be elevated. These students should be rechecked after 10 minutes after students are out of the sun. Temperature checks should be taken inside or in the shade. Parents who drop students off for workout should remain in their car until their student passes screening.
- Responses to screening questions for each person will be recorded and stored so that there is a record for everyone present in case a student develops COVID-19. A monitoring form will be provided for you. If temperature is rechecked both temperatures must be listed. Coaches will store screening forms. Coaches keep names of individuals in pods/groups/cohorts.
- Any person with positive symptoms reported will not be allowed to take part in workouts/practice and will contact his or her primary care provider or other appropriate health care professional. Isolate the individual immediately, provide a mask, call parent/guardian to have the student picked up. May return to practice once they have been symptoms/fever free for 3 days.
- Vulnerable individuals should not oversee or practice/participate in any workouts.
- Individuals that do not complete pre-screening are taken immediately out of pod/group/cohort – practice rights taken away for 2 days on first offense. Second offense loss of practices rights for remainder of summer workouts.
Limitations on Workouts/Practice/Gatherings:
- No workout of more than 10 individuals at a time inside (includes 1 Coach). Groups of 25 can meet in different outside areas as part of the same program. Ex: 9 players with a coach at one football goal line, another group at another goal line, and one group on the track area.
- Doing the best we can, keep a minimum distance of 6 feet between each individual at times when taking breaks or coaches just observing.
- Locker rooms will not be utilized. Students should report to workouts in proper gear and immediately return home to shower at the end of the workout. Restrooms can be used.
- Create one-way entry and exit doors/gates where possible.
- Minimize player contact by eliminating: handshaking, high fives and hugging. Individuals should not use sunflower seeds and should refrain from spitting in areas where other individuals could step or come in contact with the seed(s) or spit. Individuals should throw away their own trash. Assist individuals to not touch their face.
- Community water towers/coolers will not be available. Individuals will need to bring their own drinking bottle(s) filled with water or drink. Drinking fountains will not be used.
- Encourage players to provide their own transportation. If players walk home together encourage them to social distance.
- Students need to leave the school site immediately after workout/practice.
- Parents may attend sport activities/workouts if coaches allow but must remain 6 feet apart from non-household members.
- Coaches must retain records/take attendance of those athletes present in case later disease outbreak investigations become necessary
Facilities Cleaning: Adults are in charge of sanitizing/disinfecting, students assist
- Adequate cleaning schedules will be followed and implemented for all athletic/training facilities to mitigate any communicable diseases.
- Prior to an individual or groups of individuals entering a facility, hard surfaces within the facility should be wiped down and sanitized (chairs, furniture, weight room equipment, bathrooms, athletic training tables, faucets, toilet handles, etc.)
- Individuals should wash hands for a minimum of 20 seconds with warm water and soap before touching any surfaces or participating in workouts. If water is not available individuals should use hand sanitizer.
- Hand sanitizer should be plentiful and available to individuals as they transfer from place to place.
- Weight equipment will be wiped down/disinfected thoroughly before and after the individual’s use of equipment.
- 6 feet distancing in gyms/weight rooms as much as possible. Sharing of equipment is discouraged, and equipment must be cleaned and disinfected between uses.
- Appropriate clothing/shoes should be worn at all times in the weight room and in other practice areas to minimize sweat from transmitting onto equipment/surfaces.
- Any equipment such as weight benches, athletic pads,etc. having holes with exposed foam will be covered.
- Students should be encouraged to shower and wash their workout clothing immediately upon returning home.
- There will be no shared athletic equipment: towels, clothing, shoes, water bottles, other sport specific equipment, etc.
- Students will wear their own appropriate workout clothing (do not share), individual clothing/towels should be washed and cleaned after every workout.
- The wording with use of face masks is “to the best extent possible” So, do the best that you can depending on the activity but obviously the mask would not work with many activities. However, when there are breaks, coaches just observing etc, it is recommended to wear a mask.
- All athletic equipment, including balls will be cleaned/disinfected/sanitized frequently and prior to the next workout/group. If a ball or equipment is dirty, it should be first washed until dirt is removed with detergent or soap and then disinfected/sanitized. Disinfectants will not work on a dirty surface.
- Individual drills requiring the use of athletic equipment are permissible, but the equipment will be cleaned/disinfected/sanitized prior to use by the next individual.
- Free weight exercises that require a spotter cannot be conducted while honoring social distancing norms. Safety measures in all forms must be strictly enforced in the weight room.
- Resistance training will be emphasized as body weight, sub-maximal lifts and use of resistance bands in areas with social distancing issues.
- Coaches, staff and students must use common sense to assure the safety of all. Seek out guidance from building level athletic director or Paula Buser, Director of Student Services.
- When dropping your student off wait until your student has passed the daily participation screening. If your student does not pass he/she will not be allowed to stay at practice or on district grounds. If your student walks he/she will be directed to walk home and the coach will contact the parent or guardian.
- Only students directly involved in activities are allowed in district facilities or on the field where students are participating. If you need to speak with a coach have your student inform the coach. To communicate the coach will have social distance and wear a face mask. Parents/Guardians will also wear a face mask.
- When picking your student up. Please stay in your vehicle. Leave immediately after your student is in your vehicle.
- If you are uncomfortable sending your student to practice/work out it will not be held against them. We understand that individuals have different ideas about safety with COVID-19 and are sensitive to those ideas.
Next Phase requirements are currently being developed and discussed. The start of the next Phase will depend on current information from Fremont County Health and the evaluation of your pre-screening data and individuals following these guidelines
Thank You very much for your help in working around this situation.